Thursday, May 3, 2012

Sure You Can Trust Your Government... Just Ask a Native American!

I was watching American Pickers the other day, and I was reminded that before this class I didn't realize Native Americans are in EVERYTHING. For example, I've noticed my friends talking about Native Americans at least once a week either positively, negatively, or just middle-ground ignorance. I've started picking battles.

Anyways, the American Pickers crew came to this guy's house and he had all of those stereotypical signs like "Stick to your guns" and "If you value your life, don't cross my fence" and all of that. There were maybe 20 of them all over his yard, fence, and property. One of them stuck out to me, though. It was a sign that said this, and I quickly realized that this was an actual slogan(and a pretty valid one) This, mind you, was in the middle of nowhere swamp-land where there was absolutely no Native American culture, reference, or anything.

The slogan itself shows that if you can look at what the government has done to Native Americans and not have any reprimands, then they are probably doing some absolutely disgusting stuff behind the American people's backs. Look at the Keystone pipeline, for example. Flip-flopping and lying got that up and going. Learning about Native Americans makes you question nearly everything. If I was lied to about Thanksgiving for all these years, what else in history doesn't hold valid? The south still learns that slavery "wasn't that bad" and civil rights was peaceful and orderly.

Education is all about the frame that you are put in. Every school, every classroom, every book has a frame. As a student, it is your job to take what you learn, and question it. Question everything, because in some cases, you might not be getting the whole picture.

1 comment:

  1. Jesse, you're right. I didn't even learn about the genocide against my race until I entered college...it's insane not knowing what happened to my race until I became an adult. The truth that is. Nice blog.

    ReplyDelete