Thursday, May 3, 2012

Native American Burial Grounds in Horror


As an avid horror movie fan, I pride myself in barely getting scared when sitting down the a gore-filled murder-fest in my free time. There's nothing like getting your adrenaline pumping late at night with all the lights out. Recently, while watching the movie Mask Maker on Netflix, something got my adrenaline racing more than the foul-mouthed crude jokes and masked murderers ripping people's faces off. In shot expressing the setting(whatever that is called in actual movie terms, I can't think of it now), the protagonist finds a falcon-head staff. I got this screen-cap of his immediate reaction to this finding.

This leads me to my point, a common theme that is seen in horror many times. Whenever you need to portray an "evil" setting, just put a Native American Burial ground. Not only does this further enforce the idea that Native Americans are not alive today, literally buried in the ground, not in the movie, haunting the characters(ooohhh spooky!), but the idea that the ghosts would be Native Americans makes them scarier.

In reality, movies like this that start off with a Native American burial ground humors me the most when the ghosts turn up. They are almost always white. Okay, so Native Americans can be buried in the ground, but when they actually are in the movie, they are white? I don't understand this, but I guess horror movies will continue to reinforce these stereotypes along with various other things that they do wrong(like most of them sucking, like this one)

No comments:

Post a Comment